[L2Ork-dev] Design decisions to make regarding the z-order of the xlets of objects

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 12:11:02 EDT 2019

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 11:53 AM Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

> > Unfortunately, it appears that graph_vis is so complex that we can
> > essentially call it a "write-only" function at this point.
> >
> > Given that, we could just create a js function
> > "gui_move_graph_to_front" and add a call to it after the gobjs are
> > drawn. It would go here:
> >
> > https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/blob/master/pd/src/g_graph.c#L1139
> >
> > That function would just grab the relevant <g> for the graph and move
> > it to the top of the Z order for objects (but still behind the cords).
> >
> > Drawback is that this adds a DOM mutation which may cause a re-layout.
> > But that's probably worth it in order to get proper Z-order for GOP.
>
> Thank you, Jonathan and Shaoqian. I wonder is the graph_vis function and
> its supporting calls are identical to pd-l2ork branch as that one does
> not have this problem. Perhaps that may be another place to look for a
> solution?

Pd-l2ork 1.0 works correctly because tk canvas doesn't support grouping of
items like SVG does. So putting the draw_io call after the gobj vis
loop is sufficient to
get the xlets to appear on top of the GOP contents.

Pd-l2ork 2.0 doesn't work correctly because I didn't refactor the code to make
gobjs displayed inside a GOP nest inside of the GOP <g>. There's certainly a way
to do that. But the code to decide which gobs to display at which x/y
is so spaghetti'd
that I didn't do that.

-Jonathan