[L2Ork-dev] build-time precision

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Sun May 27 20:32:55 EDT 2018

Hi list,

Would anyone like to take a stab at making a configure flag/recipe for
setting the value of PD_FLOATSIZE at compile time?

Here's where I think we need the flag:

purr-data/pd/src/configure.ac: the relevant m4 code to create a flag
and bind it to the value for PD_FLOATSIZE. Some relevant code is
already available in pd-double for PD_FLOAT_PRECISION at
pd-double/configure.ac [1]

purr-data/Makefile: I'm not sure... do we need

a) a recipe for setting PD_FLOATSIZE to double?

b) something that takes a prepended PD_FLOATSIZE=64 and does the
relevant work under the hood to pass it along down the Makefile line?

Also-- in which of the Makefile do we add the -DPDFLOATSIZE=whatever
for all the externals to use? Would that be
purr-data/externals/Makefile?

I can look into this if nobody else wants to. I just don't want Pranay
to have to go digging around in our spooky "Makefile Hall of Mirrors"
just to get a macro to consistently toggle between two values.

-Jonathan

[1] https://github.com/pd-projects/pd-double/blob/master/configure.ac#L70