[L2Ork-dev] Double Precision project

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Tue May 8 14:48:54 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 12:38 PM, Giulio Moro <g.moro at qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'd keep PD_FLOATSIZE, out of personal preference.

Sounds good. If anyone wants to submit a quick patch before I get to
it I'll merge it.

> ARM: on arm, the NEON SIMD floating point unit flushes denormals to zero and is not slowed down by NaNs (although it doesn't flush them). The VFPv3 (on the Cortex-A8floating point unit by default keeps denormals and does slow computations on NaNs, however it can be put into flush-denormals-to-zero and fast-nan mode.

It might be instructive to see the performance impact on ARM of
PD_BIGORSMALL in the few places
where it gets used. I can make some rudimentary tests later.

> Not sure what happens with the more recent armv8 NEONs and VFPv4 though.

Is there a way to take advantage of NEON for dsp perform routines
through a compiler flag? Or
would it require hand-coding some routines?

-Jonathan