[L2Ork-dev] Ad hoc parsers in Purr Data

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:29:41 EDT 2018

> Hi list,
>
> I closed the issue about '#1' turning into '$1' because a) it's the way
> Vanilla
> does it and b) Vanilla does it that way (I think) because Max's abstraction
> variables are hash signs.

A recent discussion in the pd list clearly stated that this should be
considered a bug in Vanilla, not a feature.

And currently Pd-l2ork already has a different behaviour for "#" in
general, not only followed by a number - whereas in Pd it still gets
converted to "$". See:
https://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2018-03/121963.html

Anyway, I'm here quoting IOhannes about this issue:

"

*it's a (very stupid) hack to prevent "$" from being expanded by the
tcl interpreter.(the iemguis - btw not only the labels but also the
send/receive names)- replace $ with # (rather than the other way round) to
communicatebetween GUI and Pd-core; after that, the symbols are transformed
back -which is why the "#" (which wasn't transformed in the first place)
getsreplaced with "$").*"

There'd be some backwards compatibility concerns, though, as in how to not
break all patches that rely on "#<number> from being expanded to
"$<number>", as he said, but I have to say I don't really understand how
anyone would need to rely on it. I needed a practical example.

Anyway, I find it an annoying bug, as I rely on printing symbols as labels
in iemguis and this has presented as an issue

cheers