[L2Ork-dev] Iterating in dev process

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 11:25:34 EDT 2018

Hi list,

Here's my dev process:

1. Install Purr Data
2. Navigate to purr-data/pd/src
3. Edit s_inter.c to point at my local repository for loading the GUI:
e.g., home/someuser/purr-data/pd/nw. You can see the instructions for
doing this in lines 1407 and 1448. That should probably be using a
macro if anyone wants to fix it.
4. `make`
5. sudo cp ../bin/pd-l2ork /usr/bin/pd-l2ork

Now I can make changes to the GUI files in the purr-data/pd/nw and
immediately run pd-l2ork to see the changes (sometimes by restarting
the app, sometimes just by opening a new canvas).

I can also make changes to the core in pd/src and quickly see the
changes in a running instance. In this case `make` only recompiles the
changed files, and my cp command updates the core binary on my system.

In this way I can iterate through changes to the GUI and/or the core
binary with a minimum of overhead.

I'm curious how other people dev Purr Data, and if my method can be
improved and possibly canonicalized so that new devs don't waste time
doing stuff like rebuilding and installing a .deb just to see small
changes to the core/GUI.