[L2Ork-dev] Pd-l2ork 1+2 parallel installations (Linux) might go EOL next month

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Mar 13 06:39:29 EDT 2018

Hi everybody,

This is for Linux (Arch/Ubuntu) users who are using the JGU packages
to have both classic Pd-l2ork and Purr Data installed at the same
time.

Can I have a quick show of hands, please, to see how many of you are
still doing this?

The thing is, Pd-l2ork 1 is unmaintained (we simply don't have the
time to do that any more, as all development efforts focus on Purr
Data now), and it doesn't compile in Ubuntu 17.04 and later any more.

The provisions to make Purr Data and Pd-l2ork work on the same system
complicate my build scripts quite a bit, so I'd like to get rid of
this technical debt as soon as possible and make the JGU purr-data
package ship a plain unpatched installation of the upstream sources
again. Especially since my own support for Trusty (14.04) packages
will go EOL once Ubuntu 18.04 comes out next month. At which point the
only "dual installation" option still supported in the JGU packages
would be Xenial (16.04).

So who would be affected by this? That is, is anyone here still
actually using *both* the JGU packages pd-l2ork and purr-data
*simultaneously* on any old Ubuntu release? If not, then I'll just
remove support for the "dual installation" option altogether once
Ubuntu 18.04 comes out.

Thanks,

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com