[L2Ork-dev] CI Runners

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 18:52:00 EST 2018

Hi list,

I just attempted to set up the CI runners so that other developers can
make use of them.

To do this, I had to: a) impersonate Albert in the Gitlab UI to make
him add me as a "master" to his fork, b) go in and turn on CI stuff in
his fork's settings, and c) manually enable all the current runners
for his fork. (I could probably have done this without impersonating
him. But it took me about 20 guesses-and-checks before figuring out
how to complete this seemingly trivial task, so that would probably
have taken 3 days of messaging back and forth.)

There's another option to use shared runners, but this allows them for
all projects and is thus stupid and dangerous.

FYI-- the way I did it above is described in the docs as enabling
"specific runner" for multiple projects. :)

I wish there were some easier way-- I don't think it's a good design
to require me to give myself a bunch of unnecessary permissions on
someone else's fork just to allow them to use my runners. But so far
that's the only what I found to achieve this.

Best,
Jonathan