[L2Ork-dev] Precision of [sqrt~] for double-precision

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 00:57:19 EDT 2018

Even with double precision numbers stored in those tables, you're still
restricting your input to the 254 exponent values and 10 bits of mantissa.

The rough outline of the algorithm hinges on the idea that sqrt(a*b) =
sqrt(a) * sqrt(b). So, since floating point is represented
exponent*mantissa, you can get sqrt(e*m) by doing sqrt(e)*sqrt(m). That
means if you can pre-compute all possible sqrt(e) except NaNs, infs, and
denormals, and enough mantissa values to whatever significant bits you
want, you can get really efficient. The reason to precompute the reciprocal
first is because you save the divide in the perform function. Instead, you
can rely on f*(1/sqrt(f)) = sqrt(f), so it's a simple multiply by the float
you already have.

The rest of it is just bit paperwork. All the << 23 you see are to get to
the exponent bits. The mantissa table holds rsqrt values for 1.0 +
intervals of 1./1024. (that initial 1.0 is implied in normalized float
representation).

So basically, you're accepting double-precision values for inputs truncated
to 18 bits of precision. One problem is that you'll get very bad values for
very high input exponents because you're bashing everything to
single-precision exponent range. Might not be the worst thing, but
something to consider.

Matt