[L2Ork-dev] purr-data console

Jonathan Wilkes jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 12:10:51 EDT 2018

Copying reply to the list...

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 9:13 AM, Gilberto Agostinho
<gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
>> There's one in the menu for the main console window. Click "Edit" then
>> "Clear Console." There is also a keyboard shortcut for it.
>

> That's excellent, I had never noticed it before. Perhaps adding a GUI button
> would still make it more obvious, but the feature itself is all I wanted for
> my needs. Great!
>
>> Does it filter a) incoming messages, b) the content already in the
>> console, c) both?
>

> I believe it filters both messages that are already in the console as well
> as incoming ones.
>
>> Purr Data has a "Find" feature that is in the menu, too. I think the
>> shortcut is <Ctrl-f>. It will highlight the string you search and cycle
>> through the results when you click <Enter>.
>
> That's very handy, thanks for the info! It's just a pity that the highlight
> doesn't get updated when new messages are coming so one needs to be
> resending the keyword for the search.

You can make a bug report about that here:

https://git.purrdata.net/jwilkes/purr-data/issues

If I did a naive implementation of the feature then CPU usage would scale
linearly with the amount of console text, as it would recompute the selection
for every message received from Pd. But we can probably figure out a way
to just search newly arrived text.

-Jonathan