[L2Ork-dev] Building purr-data for armv7l

Heiko Nickerl dev at heiko-nickerl.com
Wed Aug 1 17:57:15 EDT 2018

Dear folks,

I took the challenge and compiled the current master of purr-data for
armv7l (using an Odroid-xu4 which runs armbian strech).

I went trough some trouble (using `make incremental`) and had to tinker
in 1-2 places. Maybe you're interested in my findings.
Please let me know if there is a better way to report a bug to this project.

The first problem should most probably be forwarded to the wiringpi
project. Heres' the build error:
ld  -shared -o disis_spi.l_arm disis_spi.o -lc -lm
ld: disis_spi.o: relocation R_ARM_THM_MOVW_ABS_NC against `a local
symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
disis_spi.o: error adding symbols: Bad value
../makefile.include:98: recipe for target 'disis_spi.l_arm' failed
make: *** [disis_spi.l_arm] Error 1

I'm terrible with C, but google helped me and my fix was:
Insert following line before line 98 in
/usr/local/src/purr-data-hnicke/l2ork_addons/raspberry_pi/makefile.include:

     $(eval override CFLAGS += -fPIC)

Missing build dep:
- fakeroot (required for the linux_make's deb target)

Wrong permissions in DEBIAN (control dir):
When building the deb package, dpkg-deb complained about DEBIAN dir
having wrong permissions: Needs >=0755 && <=0775, but has 2755.
Fixed this with following line (insert before line 184 in
/usr/local/src/purr-data-hnicke/packages/linux_make/Makefile:

    chmod -R g-s $(DESTDIR)/DEBIAN

In the end I've managed to build purr-data. In case anyone is interested
in the .deb, here it is:

https://cloud.hnicke.de/index.php/s/2AgzGnwT5Ec6KFP

After installing and running, some further errors occured. These
dependencies are currently missing:

- libnss3
- libgconf-2-4
- libxss1

After that purr-data works like a charm.
Thank you so much for the effort!

Best
Heiko Nickerl