[L2Ork-dev] request for mentorship: build infrastructure

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 15 00:29:19 UTC 2017

Hello,
Albert provided some comments on the issue tracker about how to
handle the release process for Purr Data.  I want to move that discussion
here.  This is a fairly clear case where Albert has experience in this
domain that can improve upon the current brittle process.  I want to use this
clear case to explicitly and publicly request mentorship, and to see if this kind
of explicit request works as a general process for future development.

The problem is twofold: I'm not (yet) using tags in git for the releases, and
I don't have a scalable process for publishing and archiving the
release binaries.  In fact, I'm not even archiving the release binaries.
I think tagging is fairly straightforward.  Do we need to specify a format
for the text of the tag? $major.$minor.$bugfix, v$major.$minor.$bugfix,
etc.

Publishing: it seems like I should be able to use gitlab ci for this.  Currently
the ci binaries (called "artifacts") last a day and are then removed to save
space.  I could add a rule that when a release tag is pushed then the ci
builds binaries that never get removed.  Then we'd host the full archive of
releases in gitlab, plus the temporary binaries that come from merges.
However, that would mean that I push the release tag to *trigger* the build
of release binaries.  Not sure if that's a problem, or if there's a workaround for
that.

Anyway, what I'd like to end up with is an automated system where all that's
needed is a single git push to start the release process, build the binaries, and
upload them to the relevant location(s).  Currently I'm manually uploading binaries
build by gitlab ci to a "purr-data-binaries" repo, which is a waste of time.
I'm also fine with using github to publish the binaries and/or store the older
versions.  But is there a way to automate the process of uploading the binaries
to github from gitlab ci?
Finally, I realize I still don't have Windows as part of the ci process.  But for
now let's just assume I'll have one, as well as one for OSX 10.8 and
rpi.