[L2Ork-dev] cyclone merge resolution (Re: updating cyclone)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 15:28:54 UTC 2017

> I think my preferred solution, in agreement with Alex, is fixing the
> loader to add the greater flexibility needed for Cyclone to work as-is.
> (...) This would allow for more flexibility in future Purr Data library
> development and if perhaps separable from Purr Data and usable
> as a utility for Pd vanilla

Not sure it is usable in Vanilla, though I can also only see benefits in
sorting this out too.

> fixing the behaviour of the loader (...) could potentially be
not-so-trivial
> (...) If it's only a problem with Cyclone (...) I understand it being not
such
> a high priority fix

I know nothing, so I keep thinking it must be easy (I always do that,
sorry), but I also see it could be harsh to impose this one. Yeah, it's
just cyclone for now. Well, this is up to them. There are other options.

> changing the name of the cyclone binop binary would be the path of
> least-resistance and be the most feasible, esp for getting a new stable
> purr-data release out in a reasonable amount of time.

Not the only quick solution. Since Purr Data has hexloader preloaded, we
could have a branch that doesn't requite any library, which is in fact
something jonathan said he preferred early in this discussion. It has its
issues, but it's an option if the bigger issue is having it out of the way
quickly at any cost, and in the case Purr Data developers do not want to
touch the lib loader for now. This is something I could manage in such a
case. With the benefit of keeping cyclone "as is".

> The cyclone binops are by now ​quite stable and unlikely to change, yes?

Yes, they are quite stable! And, as long as we're at it, most of these
should be part of Vanilla for crying out loud...

> If this is the case, one solution would be to keep the library name
cyclone
> for vanilla distribution

with the goal of making it as only such a library, huh?

> but for compiling cyclone for purr data, a simple script to split the
source
> file into its constituent hex-named objects might work. It's a kludge and
> could cause maintenance problems, but it would avoid all of these naming
> issues. Otherwise I feel ambivalent about the whole thing.

yeah, it's a quick deal, are we ok with this one?

cheers