[L2Ork-dev] Non-signal *left* inlet visualization of a dsp object

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:00:17 UTC 2017

Hi there,

I have a rather technical question on the way that the late Pd-extended and
its living descendants (i.e., Pd-l2ork and Purr Data) render the control
and signal inlets of a tilde object. Specifically, it's about the
*leftmost* inlet, and (even more specifically) about the (not very usual,
but possible) case that the leftmost inlet is not a signal, but a *control*
inlet.

The thing that has been bugging me for a long time is that Pd-extended and
Pd-l2ork seem to *always* render the leftmost inlet as a signal inlet (if
the object has any signal inlets at all), even if it's actually a control
inlet.

Sorry, I don't have a minimal code example handy, but here's a screenshot
of some faust~ externals (using my pd-faust package) that shows what I mean:

[image: Inline image 2]

(This screenie was taken in Purr Data, but it looks pretty much the same in
classic Pd-l2ork, and even in ye olde Pd-extended. Of course in vanilla Pd
there won't be a difference, because it will render signal and control
inlets exactly the same.)

As you can see, the leftmost inlets of the faust~ objects in that patch are
visualized as signal inlets (filled rectangle) when in reality they are not
(I'm 100% sure about that, I wrote the faust~ external myself).

Is there a good reason for this? Is it an oversight/bug? Maybe this has
something to do with Pd's special treatment of the leftmost inlet? OTOH,
the inlet *is* properly rendered as a rectangle outline in non-signal
objects.

Jonathan, could you please point me to the code that renders the inlets of
an object in Purr Data? Then I might be able to figure this out myself, but
I haven't been able to find where it's at.

Thanks,

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com