[L2Ork-dev] Fwd: Re: [PD] [PD-announce] pd 0.48-0 released

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 14:56:13 UTC 2017

> > The Pd API allows starting and/or shutting down the GUI dynamically while Pd is running.

> Anyone want to investigate this one? I've never had a need but maybe others do.

> I am happy to give this a go, as I have a use for it.

> I am also interested - in general - in learning more about the overall process of keeping PurrData "up to date" with PureData. The codebae has forked off a long time ago and the diff between the two source trees is huge. So, if anyone wanted to shed some light on this, I am happy to listen.

I actually didn't think this was feasible until Ico did it in Pd-l2ork 1.0. I ported his changes to Purr Data before the first stable release, and
Albert has also ported some things since then.
I'm working on an obnoxiously large merge to get a test framework working right now, but I can give you the broad outline.
Suppose you want to port the changes made to expr.
1. Get the history of any changes or bugfixes to vexpr* stuff that were made in Purr Data or Pd-l2ork 1.0.E.g.,git log x_vexp_if.c
commit fd29cd74de7d644ad52840c9b82ec62eccfa3846
Author: Jonathan Wilkes <jon.w.wilkes at gmail.com>
Date:   Fri Jun 3 18:13:16 2016 -0400

    Vanilla 0.47 backport 16: add expr objects to Pd source
So it appears I've done nothing other than initially bringing in this file to Pd core.
If there had been bugfixes or other revisions that aren't in Pd Vanilla, we'd want to
bookmark those for later and make sure we don't overwrite them when bringing in
the changes from Pd Vanilla. (There are several ways to do that in git.)
2. Check the Pd Vanilla code we're porting and see if the file structure has changed
at all. If expr still consists of the same 4 files then this will probably be an easy port.
3. Check the repo history for Pd Vanilla starting from 0.47 (where we ported the
first expr changes from) to present? For expr, you're probably just looking for stray
changes to a build script or file outside of the x_vexp* ones.
4. Copy over the x_vexp* files with the ones from Pd Vanilla. Then build and test. We
should probably have regression tests for these cases, but we don't currently.
5. If it works, make a commit noting all the relevant changes from Pd Vanilla to expr.
***
That's for a relatively straightforward port.

For the mechanism to start/stop Pd's GUI, you're going to need to spend more time looking
closely at the commits in Pd Vanilla that added that functionality. Most of the differences in this
part of Pd will be due to the different gui messaging API and some changes to paths that
find the GUI program in Purr Data.

It can be helpful in this situation to look at the history for specific functions:
git log -L :sys_main:s_inter.c

Hope that helps. I can give more help once I finish this port and do a release.
-Jonathan