[L2Ork-dev] updating cyclone

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 23:30:24 UTC 2017

Using "alpha" to mean you are in the stable, early stages of a process that may never
actually be completed is confusing.

> It is, and, if anything, I already considered that cyclone should have jumped to "1.0", instead of being released as "0.3 alpha-1", and now the 0.3 alpha-2 is much more like "1.0.1" - perhaps we should go ahead and just do it, I don't know...
You could do that, but it's not what I'm suggesting.  I'm suggesting to keep the
major version at "0".  That signifies that you're still working on getting the library
to have the interface you desire-- that is, the Max/MSP 7 set of objects (or whatever
your goal happens to be).  Then use "alpha" and "beta" in their common usage,
to convey the stability of the version of the library you are about to release.

> But my only point is that our current version is just much more advanced and stable, fixed, and cleaned up than the earlier versions. You really shouldn't worry about it being "unstable" as it is now...
Ah, ok.  Then I would *strongly* suggest not to use the words "alpha" and
"beta" in the way that you currently are.  It's too confusing.

-Jonathan