[L2Ork-dev] gui port

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 20:08:37 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 3:15 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hm... scratch that-- I just synced the libs that had missing files with
> Pd-l2ork.  I probably missed a commit or two somewhere.

Looking good! An AUR package is now up at
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/purr-data-git/. This always builds from
the latest git sources and can be used as a drop-in replacement for the
pd-l2ork or pd-l2ork-git package. Just run `yaourt -S purr-data-git` and
you should be set (be patient, this package takes quite a while to build).

(Sorry, no Ubuntu PPAs yet, I need to find more copious spare time to work
on that.)

Three usability issues I noticed:

- The help browser is fairly minimalistic, but I like it. The only gripe
that I have with it is that it only searches /usr/lib/pd-l2ork/doc. Is
there a way to also make it search the extra folder?

- Changing the font size interactively (using Edit/Font) doesn't work.
After changing the font all the object and message boxes in the patch look
empty. (*Loading* patches in different font sizes seems to work all right,
though.)

- I'd like to be able to reduce the amount of scary debug messages that
purr-data keeps blurting out when it hits some legacy stuff that's not
supported any more. I understand that these are necessary for devs to find
out about externals that need their attention, but for the normal user it
adds a lot of unwelcome noise to the main window. For starters, it would be
nice to have at least an option so that "Old command" only prints at most a
single line of text for each unrecognized Tcl command, maybe just something
like `Old command at pure.c:1228` without the actual contents of the
message.

Other than that, purr-data really works amazingly well already! I really
like it very much, and the prospect of having cross-platform compatibility
makes me want to use it in our lab asap, once the 3 issues above are fixed
in some way.

Jonathan, does sys_vgui() let me execute JavaScript code in purr-data?
Specifically, I need a replacement for `::pd_menucommands::menu_openfile`
so that I can run $EDITOR on the source files of Pure and Faust externals.
Obviously the functions to do that kind of thing are already in pdgui.js,
but how to invoke them from an external?

Cheers,

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com