[L2Ork-dev] gui port

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 20 18:05:04 UTC 2016

> On Monday, June 20, 2016 12:32 PM, Albert Graef <aggraef at gmail.com> wrote:

 > On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 5:53 AM, Jonathan Wilkes <jancsika at yahoo.com> wrote:
> The GUI port is up to date with agraef's recent build-script commits.
> Cool, thanks! Any chance that you get around merging the latest fixes to the debuild stuff as well?> That has > `tar_em_up.sh -B -n` working properly which should be nice for building packages on
> non-Debian platforms (including the Mac).
I'm up to date with the Pd-l2ork repo.  My last commit message from you was: "debuild: remove obsolete preinst and postrm scripts."
> I'm currently trying to get this to build for me, but `tar_em_up.sh -B` doesn't seem to be the right way to do it.> I end up with a fairly small deb package which doesn't even have a usr/bin/pd-l2ork binary in it.
This is probably because the nw.js binary/libs are missing.  ATM I am manually downloading the nw.js
binary for the relevant architecture, un-tarring, then moving the contents into pd/nw/nw.
The fetching of nw.js should happen somewhere in that tar_em_up.sh script, but I'm not exactly sure where.
For example, it should be fetched even if someone wants to just build core pd.

> Are there any additional steps besides tar_em_up.sh which I need to follow to get a complete package?
For GNU/Linux, only what I outlined above. I haven't checked Ubuntu to see if nw.js is present in a ppa yet.
I know it's not packaged for Debian yet.

> Maybe you have a special build script or anything like that that you can share?
I'll spend the next week documenting the things I'm doing manually atm.  I already have most of it documentedfor Windows, and it's just the nw.js binary for GNU/Linux.
For OSX, it's not documented at all yet. :(

> In return, I can offer to get the debuild stuff working for Purr Data (the name! :), package it for Arch,

Great!

> and also try to tackle the Mac build (sorry to hear that your Mac is broken).
This is the most difficult one.  Pd-extended created a Pd app bundle that leveraged a tcl/tk framework
for the GUI.  But with nw.js I found it was easier to invert that relationship-- nw.js has its own app bundle,
and I just nest the entire Pd directory structure inside that.  The only idiosyncracy so far is that I have
to change the directory "bin" to "app.nw" in order to get nw.js to load things correctly.
Additionally, I can't successfully build a 32-bit target on OSX, and Gem needs 32-bit to work on OSX.
OSX is by far the most painful platform atm.
-Jonathan