[L2Ork-dev] installing pd-l2ork

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Sep 15 16:54:01 UTC 2014

Thank you very much for the update Gilberto. Please see my comments below.

On Sep 15, 2014 10:53 AM, "Gilberto Agostinho" <
gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ico, hi all,
>
> Thanks for the quick replies, I really appreciate. I was able to force
the installation of pd-l2ork and keep my pd-extended by using "sudo dpkg -i
--force-overwrite pd-l2ork-x86_64-20140913.deb" as suggested on that link.
I made some few tests and apparently both distributions are working
perfectly well side by side. I also tested some Gem objects and they seem
to be working fine (although some objects used in the help files of Gem are
not working, such as [gcanvas]. I tested other objects from the ggee
library, and some of them work fine (such as [atan2~], [image] and
[sfwrite~], but others don't, such as [button], [fatom], [slider],
[toddle].

Some of these objects have been removed due to their unstable
implementation (e.g. some of the ggee objects), others have been heavily
updated with an aim to eventually make them a complete replacement for all
other similar objects (e.g. ggee/image). One I am not sure about is the
gcanvas. Do you know what library that object belongs to and what it is
meant to do?

> I also would like to report that during this forced installation, I got a
long list of overwritten packages by dpkg (I can post the whole log where
if that is suitable). Basically, what was causing conflicts were the
already mentioned file Gem.pc, also all the files inside /usr/include/Gem/
(tons of them, to be accurate), then some other files (one icon, one file
inside emacs folder, the cyclist folder and a file named
/usr/bin/config-switcher.sh).

If you would please provide a detailed log of this process (you can do so
by forcing another install) and posting it here, that would be greatly
appreciated.

> Let me know if I can be of any help with these things, and thanks once
again for the guidance.

> Best,
> Gilberto
>

> On 15/09/14 07:31, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gilberto and welcome to the pd-l2ork dev list! Unfortunately, it
seems you've discovered another conflicting part that I completely forgot
about. I will try to investigate how to handle this gracefully. If anyone
has an idea if it is safe to remove Gem.pc from pd-l2ork package, please
let me know. I presume doing so may preclude someone from building an
external library that depends on Gem in case they don't have extended
installed. Thoughts?

>> In the meantime, what you may want to try to do is to force install
(since both pd-extended and pd-l2ork Gem.pc files should be identical) as
per:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/56761/force-apt-get-to-overwrite-file-installed-by-another-package

>> Please note I've never tried this before, so it may or may not work. If
you do try this, please report results here (try Gem on both extended and
pd-l2ork and if both work ok, you should be then ok for the time being).

>> HTH
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ico
>>
>> On 09/14/2014 08:20 PM, Gilberto Agostinho wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am trying to install pd-l2ork side by side with pd-extended on my
Linux Mint. I read that there shouldn't be any conflicts (other people
manage to do so), but the .deb installer outputs:

>>> (Reading database ... 303967 files and directories currently
installed.)
>>> Preparing to unpack .../pd-l2ork-x86_64-20140913.deb ...
>>> Unpacking pd-l2ork (20140913) ...
>>> dpkg: error processing archive
/home/gilberto/Desktop/pd-l2ork-x86_64-20140913.deb (--install):
>>>  trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/pkgconfig/Gem.pc', which is also in
package pd-extended 0.43.4-1~trusty1