[L2Ork-dev] pd-l2ork-externals folder

Albert Graef aggraef at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 07:14:08 UTC 2014

On Sat, Nov 8, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Gilberto Agostinho <
gilbertohasnofb at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I also like the idea of moving the config file from ~/ to ~/.pd-l2ork and
> relocating the externals folder from ~/pd-l2ork-externals to
> ~/.pd-l2ork/externals (note that, as Simon proposed, the second case is a
> subfolder of ~/.pd-l2ork). That would be clearer to understand, tidier and
> respecting the current convention (the holy trinity of computing).

This is a rather intrusive change. Moving the config file will break
people's setup when they install a new pd-l2ork version. So if this is
adopted then pd-l2ork should still fall back to reading ~/.pdl2ork if
there's no other config file.

Also, I'm not sure whether it's such a great idea to hide away the
~/pdl2ork-externals folder. You don't hide your bin folder either, do you?
One might discuss, though, whether it's necessary that pd-l2ork always
creates that folder on startup if it doesn't exist. AFAICT, other Pd
flavors don't do this. But Ico probably has a reason that he implemented it
that way.

Email:  aggraef at gmail.com