[L2Ork-dev] pd-l2ork font sizes

Albert Graef Dr.Graef at t-online.de
Fri May 18 20:08:39 UTC 2012

Hi Ico (and everybody else on this list),

Dave's most recent Pd article in Linux Journal prompted me to finally
take a look at pd-l2ork, and I must say that I like it very much. Thanks
to the Tk 8.5 themeing support, it looks much better than either
Pd-extended or vanilla, has all the nifty GUI improvements of
pd-extended, and the ability to graphically resize GUI elements and gop
areas is something that I hoped to see in Pd for a very long time.

That said, I do have a question concerning the font sizes of the IEM GUI
elements. I'm running the 20120407 developer snapshot of pd-l2ork on
Ubuntu 11.04, using Tcl/Tk 8.5. As the attached screenshots show, the
labels of the IEM GUI elements are rendered much larger than in either
vanilla or pd-extended. This appears to be the same no matter which
default font I choose with the -font-face command line option.

The larger fonts do look nice to me, since they make the IEM GUI
elements stick out a bit, but obviously this may cause problems with
patches created with vanilla or pd-extended, since the bigger labels may
not fit when the patch is used with pd-l2ork.

My question is, is this intentional or an accident? If the former, is
there a way to globally scale the font sizes of the IEM GUI elements, so
that they appear in the same size as for vanilla/pd-extended without
having to modify the patches? I've been looking at the Tk GUI code in
pd-l2ork, but the font selection logic there is rather involved and I
wasn't able to figure it out myself so far. Thus any help would be very
much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany
Email:  Dr.Graef at t-online.de, ag at muwiinfa.geschichte.uni-mainz.de
WWW:    http://www.musikinformatik.uni-mainz.de/ag